“What you give your attention to becomes the reality of your world. Give your attention to scandals, murderers, war, fear and brutality and that will program your creative computer and your world around you. Instead, focus your attention on ideas, information and knowledge that can help you grow, prosper, create and contribute to making a positive difference. Turn OFF the rest….it will change your world and your life.” ~Darren Hardy, Success magazine editor.
I wanted to share this quote with you in my fourth and final segment on the power of attitude because it provides the key to helping you maintain a pattern of thought that will attract positive in your life. Step three lists five ideas guaranteed to help you cultivate and maintain a positive frame of mind. These ideas may take a little more effort than the suggestions I listed in Step Two but the benefits you will reap are well worth the time. After all, do you want to be courageous and move forward or let doubt and fear keep you in the familiar rut of discontent and unhappiness?
STEP 3: Maintaining a Positive Attitude
1. Journalizing. Do you realize that journalizing provides a way for individuals to work through many of their emotional challenges? Taking time to put your thoughts on paper is one way to release the negative and affirm the positive. Use this activity to direct your thoughts towards all that is positive in your life. By focusing on positive events, relationships, and achievements you can crowd out those persistent negative thoughts that try to dominate your thinking.
2. Focus on others. The best way to improve your mood and attitude is by helping others. Reaching out to give of your time and talents to another human generates an indescribable sense of joy and satisfaction. Choose to surprise someone with a note of gratitude, a quick phone call, a small gift from the heart, or provide much needed support during a time of challenge. Open the doors for strangers, offer your assistance when you see someone struggling, allow a person to get in line in front of you, give sincere compliments, smile, wave, – get the idea? Avoid all gossip, feelings of envy, judgmental thoughts, hateful remarks and anger. Eliminate the negative and sustain the positive by learning to find the good in others no matter how difficult it may seem. Forgive and let go moving on and forward as you learn from the past and use it to build a fruitful and rewarding today. Focusing on others is about reaching outside of yourself and your comfort zone. Want to perpetuate a positive attitude? Then develop charity and goodwill towards others.
3. Learn something new. Now is the time to think of something that you have always wanted to learn or do. No more idle talk about “someday I want to…” or “I wish I could…” find the strength to take that first step and just do it! Sign up for a college class, join the gym, take a trip, learn a second language, paint, draw, sew, learn a musical instrument, become involved in a community organization, the choices are only limited by your thinking. How does this relate to maintaining a positive attitude? When a person develops new skills and abilities or accomplishes something they have never done before, their self-confidence increases ten-fold and guess what? Self-confidence is an extremely powerful tool for cultivating and maintaining a positive state of mind.
4. Spiritual development. I believe in a spiritual self that can provide additional strength and fortitude when in battle with negative influences. It can lead us to peace and comfort, offer knowledge and power, and enlighten a mind seeking guidance. Regardless of your background or religious beliefs developing your spiritual self produces your strongest ally in life. Think of your spiritual side as that inner self originating from deep within your heart. It is a feeling, an intuition, a still small voice that if you listen carefully can be heard.
5. Socializing. Surround yourself with positive people and make the decision to only socialize in places that are uplifting and positive. You may successfully implement the previous ideas but nothing can pull you down faster than being in the company of those who refuse to change their negative chatter and behavior. I am not saying you need to alienate yourself from friends and loved ones that may not understand the change you are making in your life. But you will need to consider how much time you spend with those that leave you feeling drained and depressed. Or places you find yourself in that you know are not of a positive influence or keep you in a positive frame of mind. Consider setting yourself some healthy limits that will work well for maintaining your positive attitude. I once read that if you want to be surrounded by good friends then you need to first be a good friend yourself. Attract the best by being the best!
There is no doubt in my mind a positive attitude will bring happiness, prosperity and a sense of well-being in a life that is as unpredictable as the weather! I would like to encourage you to reach down deep and find the courage to step out and up into the life you desire and deserve. I have only scratched the service in explaining the power of attitude and there are literally hundreds of books and articles available that can provide in more detail how your attitude determines your altitude in life. Search out those that will help you on your quest for self-improvement. I personally have tapped into the power of positive thinking with incredible results. Has it been easy? No, not always but it has definitely been worth the effort. You too will find what you need and desire in your journey through life if you but make the choice to change your attitude starting right now!
by Semetra C. Vanison
Today is the day I will change my mind and leave all the negative things behind.
Today is the day I want to be free and not let life troubles get to me.
Today is the day I will do my best and make sure I focus to pass each day’s test.
Today is the day I will take a stand and choose to do right to my fellow man.
Today is the day I will put my foot down and encourage myself when I want to frown.
Today is the day, no longer will I doubt in spite of the grumblers who stand about.
You look at me and ask “How will you start? Well, first there must be a change in my heart”.
I will hang with new friends who want to achieve and who want a good education cause that’s what I believe.
I will respect those around me, young and old for respect is the key, that’s what I’ve been told.
I will demand excellence you see for I must insist to become a better me.
I will reach for the stars no matter how hard it seems and fly like a bird with the knowledge this journey brings.
So you see it’s not impossible, I must take life day by day and do the right things as I travel along the way!